Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Fun Day French Toast Sticks



I am eating extremely healthy and going to the gym 6 days a week so I have decided to let myself have Sunday as the day I can eat something sweet, eat out or what not. You can't deprive yourself entirely. So I woke up and the first thing on my mind was french toast. I had never made vegan french toast besides a fruit stuffed one and I followed a recipe for that one before so I browsed the internet trying to find a good recipe and I came across this one on vegweb.com...the original recipe is here- http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=13005.0 and I put it below with a few of the changes I made :) They were absolutely delicious...even Ryan said they were better than the non vegan french toast he was used to!!

Ingredients
1/2 cup rice milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 slices whole wheat bread from Trader Joes
Maple Syrup
Powdered sugar

Cut slices of bread into 4 equal sticks. Mix first 9 ingredients in bowl and dip the sticks individually into mixture. Lay sticks on a pan greased with a little earth balance. Cook on low heat for 4 minutes and then medium-high heat for another minute. Flip over and cook the opposite side for about 2 minutes on medium-high heat. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and maple syrup!!

No comments: