Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lasagne Night!!!

This is my FAMOUS dinner which my Mom and I have been making for years and let me tell you it is AMAZING! My boyfriend says this is the best thing I have ever made, and he is one picky eater, if that tells you anything. This is the go-to dinner for whenever I am cooking for meat eaters. The lasagne is a guaranteed hit and I have yet to get a complaint from meat eaters about not being filling enough etc. etc. I made salad and garlic cheesy pita toast with it but forgot to take a picture of the pita toast so that recipe will come later. The dessert was an experiment and came out absolutely delicious as well. I was given a HUGE bag of delicious apples from a local grower and had to find somehow to use some up so I came up with apple crumble.





Vegetarian Lasagne
1 pound dry lasagne noodles
3 cups italian tomato sauce
1 large zucchini, grated
2 large bunches of spinach washed and stemmed
1 pound ricotta cheese
1 pound mozzarella chesse, grated or thinly sliced
1/2 pound provolove, grated or thinly sliced

Bring the tomato sauce to a boil, stir in zucchini, cook for 5 minutes. Ladle a bit of sauce into the glass 9x13 baking dish so it if coated. Place noodles in a single layer, spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese, 1/3 of the spinach, 1/3 of the cheese, cover with tomato sauce and repeat 2 more times starting with noodles. Sprinkle a bit of cheese on top for garnish and bake in oven at 350 for 1 hour.




Apple Crumble
6 apples
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cups white flour
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup earth balance

Peel and core apples and cut into extremely thin slices. Mix with 1 cup brown sugar and line bottom of 9x13 baking dish. In a bowl add oats, flour, remaining cup of brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually add margarine and crumble with fingers until a crumbly texture is achieved. Place oat topping over apples and press down. Bake 45 minutes at 350 and serve with either vanilla ice cream or cool whip.

No comments: